Monday, February 12, 2007

Balkan Hike

2-12-2007

I am extremely tired today; and feeling the strain of last weekends adventure. I met up with four other PCV’s and went on a long hike in the Balkans or Stara Planina(old mountains). The hike was quite challenging, and showed me that I am in poor physical shape. After about 2 miles we hit the snow line; and then continued another 8 miles to the top. The last couple miles were complete hell; it was straight up, and in thick snow. We stayed the night at the top in a hizja (small cabin similar to a hostel). We woke up early the next day; and scurried down the mountain in record time. It only took about 3 hours to get down the hill; however we were stuck at the base of the trail without a ride. So after our hike we all enjoyed a 6 mile walk into town which in effect turned all of the hot spots on our feet into full blown blisters. Well I am a bit too exhausted to write at the moment; so here are a few pics.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Alex, Boudreaux, Matt, Andy and I at the top
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Relaxing at the Hizja-on top

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home