Wednesday, May 09, 2007

-too lazy to write-

5-9-2007

I have not written much lately; but have jotted down a few notes and thoughts on occasion with intent to expand on the topic later. I really have to be in a certain type of mood when I write. My ideal writing mood includes a jumbled mix of boredom, hopelessly deep thought and often uncontrollable mental exploration.

-notes written various times during the last few days-

-While waiting for the bus in Colofer I saw a few kids riding around the city’s center on their bikes and dive bombing a local drunk with mouthfuls of water….. until the bum angrily chased them away. Mildly entertaining but- sad and cruel in many ways

-I hiked 35 miles last weekend (solo). From Karlovo to Vassil Levski Hizja where I slept, and then up and over the Stara planina(old Mountains) and then came back down into Colofer.

-Hiking alone is great. Peace of mind. My own pace. Tranquility. Quiet. Deep thoughts.

- It was interesting/flattering when I was at the hizja ordering a bowl of soup. I could hear the old woman talking to her husband about me while she was preparing my food. She told her husband that I spoke Bulgarian very well and that she thinks that I am German. It is funny when I overhear conversations like this.

- Yesterday 5-6 was St. George day so there were a lot of parties everywhere and the supermarket (the size of a 7-11) was pretty much bare. I tried hard to find some milk but was without luck.

-I think today 5-7 is Labor day in the states……..not sure though I don’t remember exactly when it is.

-I work with 3 women in there mid twenties so I usually curb my boredom by teasing them and bombarding them with practical jokes. The are a pleasure to work with; and we tease each other constantly. I have arrow shaped post it notes that I like to write goofy notes on, and place them on their desks with the arrow facing toward them. Example: Losha Zjena-Bad Girl. Somehow I find this amusing……….

-Am I ready for the fast pace of American life? It kinda makes me nervous to return to the US. But of course I am also excited for all the luxuries and practical conveniences. My grocery store is the size of a 7-11 and I of course do not have any access to wonderful things such as: Beef, Beef Jerky, Skittles, Peanut Butter, Gatorade(or any sport drink), canned Chile, Frozen Pizzas, year round Lettuce, American Beer, Barbecue Sauce, Hot Sauce, OK will stop there before I start getting Hungry and frustrated.

- People care about you here. You are part of something. Life is interesting

-crazy comie stories like the one about the 2cent elevator rides. And the one about a pcv getting stuck in the elevator. My buddy was telling me that in the commie days they had to pay 2 cents each time they used the elevator. And this was for the maintenance man to keep the elevator in the block running………



I am not in a writing mood but I will elaborate on the elevator story because I found it amusing when I heard it.

-note: most PCV’s/Bulgarians live in Commie era apartment blocks, they are usually plain looking, ugly, appear to be falling apart; and are usually surrounded by dirt fields decorated with a pleasant mixture of trash, and broken down vehicles. However the interior of these blocks are usually quite nice. Most apartments I have visited have been very clean, neat, finely decorated, and of course fully furnished

A fellow PCV I know was riding in the elevator of her block from her apartment down to the bottom floor………when all of a sudden she heard something snap and the elevator immediately began to excel at a rapid pace up the building. When the elevator reached the top of the building it stopped; and to her luck….. the door would not open. She began to yell help (in Bulgarian) at the top of her lungs. After a few minutes she began to hear a family through the wall. She heard the young girl of the family (maybe 10) walk into a room and tell her father “Dad, the American is stuck in the elevator”. The father paused for a moment and then ordered the mother and the daughter to help out the poor American so he could watch television in peace. The daughter and mother then began to wrench the door open with a screwdriver…….and eventually were able to pull and carry the PCV 6ft down into the hallway from the small crack between the elevator and the wall. This tale is not quite as amusing to me as now, as when I first heard it. When first heard; a great emphasis was put on the fact that the father was too busy watching futbol to help the PCV, and instead of getting off the couch……….he ordered his wife and daughter to do the (in most cases) mans job of rescuing a woman in need.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home